REI's Groundwater Approach to Racial Equity
In this three hour "Groundwater Approach to Racial Equity" workshop, trainers from the Racial Equity Institute (REI) use data and stories from a variety of sources to demonstrate the ongoing and pervasive impact of race. This research-based presentation focuses on the following six points that are essential to understanding the realities of systemic racism as a predictor of outcomes in all institutions:
1. Racial inequity looks the same across systems.
2. Socio-economic difference does not explain the racial inequity.
3. Systems contribute significantly to disparities.
4. The systems-level disparities cannot be explained by a few ‘bad apples’ or ill-intentioned gatekeepers.
5. Poor outcomes are concentrated in certain geographic communities; usually poor communities and communities of color.
6. An analysis that includes race often draws starkly different conclusions than one that does not.
Cost: Sliding scale $5-30 (childcare and light refreshments provided)
Sponsored by: OAR Durham
Contributing sponsors: Duke Memorial United Methodist Church and Central Park School for Children.
For more information contact: