REI's Groundwater Presentation: An Introduction to Racial Equity
Contact Pashara Black at email@example.com for more information.
Participants are responsible for their own parking. There is metered street parking and a parking deck available for a fee.
This training is FREE and is sponsored by Durham County and the Durham Chamber of Commerce.
REI’s Groundwater Presentation: An Introduction to Racial Equity
In the half-day Groundwater Approach workshop, trainers use data and stories from a variety of sources to demonstrate the ongoing and pervasive impact of race. This research-based presentation focuses on the following six points that are essential to understanding the realities of systemic racism as a predictor of outcomes in all institutions.
1. Racial inequity looks the same across systems.
2. Socio-economic difference does not explain the racial inequity.
3. Systems contribute significantly to disparities.
4. The systems-level disparities cannot be explained by a few ‘bad apples’ or ill-intentioned gatekeepers.
5. Poor outcomes are concentrated in certain geographic communities; usually poor communities and communities of color.
6. An analysis that includes race often draws starkly different conclusions than one that does not.